COURTESY VISIT TO HIS EXCELLENCY PROF. SHEHU YIBAIKWAL, THE NIGERIA AMBASSADOR TO RUSSIA WITH CONCURRENT ACCREDITATION TO THE REPUBLIC OF BELARUS
MONDAY, 19 JULY 2021
The Ambassador of Nigeria to the Russian Federation, H.E Prof. Abdullahi .Y. Shehu has stressed the need for more collaborative efforts towards a heightened Foreign Direct Investment(FDI) from Russia to Nigeria. He made the call during a courtesy call on him in the Embassy of Nigeria, Moscow, Russia, by the Nigerians in Diaspora, Russia (NIDO-RUSSIA), led by the Chairman, Mr. Uwem-Edimo Sampson.
Mr. Sampson noted that, the main mandate of NIDO RUSSIA is the actualization of a stronger trade and economic ties between Nigeria and Russia.
Ambassador Shehu, while noting the tremendous efforts of NIDO-RUSSIA in various investment activities between Nigeria and Russia, said, stronger collaboration is needed towards actualizing the main Foreign Policy thrust of Nigeria which is Citizen Diplomacy, and the Embassy being a facilitating platform would provide the required assistance needed to attract more FDI to Nigeria through such platforms like NIDO-RUSSIA.
H.E Prof. Shehu further expressed confidence that the strategic partnership and engagements between NIDO-RUSSIA and the Embassy would continue to grow for the mutual benefit of both Nigeria and Russia.
OTHER ISSUES DISCUSSED:
* How NIDO Russia, as one of the chapters of NIDO Europe, fulfils the fundamental aim of NIDO by bringing Nigerians living in the Russia together towards homeland development.
* The need to strengthen trade and investment ties with Russia and general issues on bilateral relations
* Diaspora Day 2021: The Federal Government of Nigeria has set aside 25 July, annually in recognition of the contributions of Nigerians in the Diaspora to national development and to celebrate the Diaspora. We are still discussing with NiDCOM to have a full fledged hybrid event that will involve the Nigerian embassy, Russia.
* Covid 19 as a dangerous/contagious virus and how Russian made vaccines that can help.
* Continued cordial relationship between NIDO Russia and the embassy, and between NIDO and other Nigerian organisations.
* NIDO’s partnership with the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) which aims at enrolling Nigerians in Diaspora into Nigeria's National Identification Number (NIN).
* Nigeria Diaspora Voting Right.
* How to support the Federal Government’s brain circulation policies by advertising opportunities in Nigeria to Nigerians in the Russia and nominating Nigerians in the Russia to positions in Nigeria whenever the opportunity presents.
* How to actualize topics raised and discussed during the July 8 business conference
* 1 The need for the Federal government to partner with Russian institutions to train technical students.
* Working out options that will ease sending children of Nigerian descends to Russian schools.